Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 10: ID to NV

"KT" thanks for the heads up about Saturday. This will be the third homecoming I have blundered into so far. Well, this should be fun. On with the story...

I woke up super, super early (6am) on Monday to get to Utah in time to see my best friend, Eric. There were a bunch of crows on the road but no road kill, anyone know why? Anyway, I got to E's high school right at 9:30. He took me out to brunch at Johanna's Kitchen (or something). A good visit later and I was heading to Barnes and Noble to reload my reading material. Due to extreme sleep deprivation, I forgot to take pictures of E or his school. Also, due to exhaustion, I misread the time on the GPS (my tomtom doesn't change the time depending on the time zone so I thought it was much later than it was). I decided to not even try to find the Salt Lake City haunted spot. Also, I was eager to get to Vegas.

Heading down the road, my warning light came back on. Of course, I had just used crappy gasoline again but that didn't help my nerves. I hit heavy traffic in Vegas but got there in time to check in. They upgraded me to the grand suite for the
night...





Note the bathtub in the middle of the raised platform...classy. Now, Bally's is supposedly haunted but I never saw anything weird except my money vanish. I couldn't take pictures in the gaming floor but I communed with some dead presidents at the poker table and caught the worst hands you could ever imagine.

This is a paragraph for poker players. I won one hand all night...one! I had a pair of jacks and also made a straight on the turn, so that paid off nicely (almost back to my starting money). Otherwise, it was all low pairs and Ace King hands that kept going nowhere. I lost on three Big Slicks in a row and folded the fourth won when I would have won with it. The worst of the night was when I had Jack Queen in the pocket and the flop came out Jack, Ace, Four (the Ace and Four were both diamonds). Three other players were betting heavy and I couldn't trust my jacks to hold up against aces or a flush draw. I folded right before the turn came out a Queen. Now, two pairs still would have made me a little shaky. The real pain was when the river came out another Jack. I would have had a boat, jacks over queens. The winning hand was Jacks over fours. ARGGHH!!! So, I left the table down a hundred.

I got to sleep late, still thinking about my terrible poker playing and thus ended a mixed bag of day 10.

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment