Saturday, October 3, 2009

Horrorthon 09: Zombieland


Every October, I try to watch 31 horror movies in the lead up to Halloween. I have no idea if I will make it but I am only one day behind so far. I figured my Haunted Road Trip Blog would be the best place to include these reviews.

My first movie in the horrorthon is Zombieland (2009). This is a horror-comedy that stars Jessie Eisenberg (the Squid and the Whale) and Woody Harrelson as two people who have managed to survive a zombie apocalypse long enough to run into each other. Harrelson plays a badass who is a big softie deep down and Eisenberg is a fidgety neurotic who has survived thanks to an ever-expanding list of rules. The real plot kicks in when they meet two young women (Little Miss Sunshine and Jules from Superbad) and the four eventually decide to make their way to the Pacific Playland amusement park in California.

There is lots of slapstick here as we are asked to laugh at zombies being mutilated and destroyed in a variety of ways. It really speaks to the inner Three Stooges fan in me to see this (basically) cartoon violence. There are moments that fall flat but, by and large, the winning nature of the cast sells even the weaker bits of the screenplay. I was reading an interview where Eisenberg reveals that the movie was written with Seth Green in mind but I couldn't help but think of Michael Cera in Eisenberg's performance. That should kind of tell you where his energy is aimed. Harrelson does a great job as a badass. He kind of fulfills the promise of his character from No Country for Old Men here (who I always suspected was awesome but never got a chance to shine). If the sight of Woody holding onto a moving tilt-a-whirl with one hand and mowing down zombies with a submachine gun in the other doesn't make you happy, this isn't the movie for you. Abigail Breslin brings a little too much realism to her role as a little girl who has been forced to grow up by circumstances. Emma Stone looks like an anime character but she handles the swings between granite exterior and warm interior emotions well (plus, hot!). There is a surprise guest star who I will not reveal but let me just say, their part in the movie elevated the whole thing.

Things get a little tense but never too serious and I was pleasantly surprised that this movie didn't take a darker tone. If you have a fear of clowns, you may want to stay away though...yeesh. All in all, this is a lighter movie than Shaun of the Dead but just as much fun. If you like comedy and zombies there is really no reason on earth why you shouldn't see this movie.

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment