Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 7: NE to WY

And I am behind again. I will try to get two up tonight.

I woke up and drove from Grand Island, NE, to Atwood, CO. There was some gorgeous scenery and the beginning of my directions to the Summit Springs battlefield were accurate. After reaching the Atwood turn-off, the directions went very wrong and I ended up lost on some back roads for awhile. Finally, I just followed my spider-sense until I came upon a dirt road with the following sign...



There was also barbed wire fencing blocking the path to the battlefield. With only two pairs of pants on me, I decided to press on. I was on unpaved roads in the middle of nowhere for a solid 45 minutes. I was getting panicked a bit as I hadn't seen another living soul until my GPS dumped me out at a prison (yeah?).

I then drove into one of my favorite states of the trip, Wyoming. The scenery was outstanding and everyone there is super nice. I pulled in Casper, Wyoming (the friendly ghost indeed) and found the Wonder Bar...





Inside, I had their Road House burger with cracked peppercorns, cheese and bacon. It was delicious but I paid for it later. Also, I had their home brewed pale ale that was okay (pales are usually a bit bitter for me). No sign of the place's ghost but all of Casper was there. The parking attendant at the garage across the street hipped me to the fact that the Wonder Bar validates and I didn't even have to pay for parking.

I drove on another hour or so to Buffalo, WY, and stopped at an Econolodge that had serious construction going on outside. The owner was the first person to ask me why I was travelling. When I told him I was visiting haunted places, he started acting weird. Regardless, I got some shut eye until the peppercorns began burning their way through my body.

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment