Friday, October 16, 2009

Day 3: MA to NY

Day three was a day full of fail. I woke up at my friends' house in Mass and got out early (by 8). I drove into Salem and found that the Witches Dungeon (not to be confused with the Witch Museum, which I had seen in middle school) does not open until 10:00 am. I couldn't wait around, but I did grab a super omelet at this place called the Lynde Street Cafe. It was great. Here is a pic of the sign outside the Dungeon...



Next, I drove through New Hampshire and into Maine. I knew the Ogunquit playhouse would be closed but I took a pic anyway...



They are hosting a Sally Struthers play...so that is kind of scary. Next, I drove to what I thought was a sure thing, Margaritas Mexican Restaurant in Concord, NH. It is part of a chain of Mexican restaurants and this one was built in an old jail. You may be able to tell from this pic of the building...



The catch was, it doesn't open until 4pm!!! What kind of restaurant doesn't open until 4? So, I had to be content with some outside pics and I took off for my first official new state of the trip...Vermont. Somehow, all those years in New England and I never got to Vermont before. I drove into this town called Bennington that is supposed to be near Glastonberry Mountain to ask for directions. Here is my exchange with the woman from the chamber of commerce (spoken in thick New England accent):

Me: Am I anywhere near Glastonberry Mountain?

Her: Why would you want to go up there for? There's nothing up there.

Me: I hear it is really pretty, there isn't a park or anything?

Her: The whole thing is in a national forest but, I'm warning you, there is nothing there but trees.

Me: Ok.

Her: There used to be a town up there but the businesses all closed and now there are only a few residents. They don't even live there all year...

Me: Sounds great, thanks.

Her: If you go there, you'll be doomed...doomed!!!

Ok, she didn't say the last part. So I start heading towards the mountain on this map she provided and I am having trouble finding it. I was talking to Jack for awhile and then my cell phone lost all reception. Nada. Ok, creepy warning from local plus no cell phone reception, got it. Then, I realized that a landmark near the mountain came up on my GPS (a monument to Daniel Webster of "The Devil and" fame). My GPS said, "Be aware, the route you have chosen requires an all terrain vehicle." Strike three! I have seen enough horror movies to know how this one ends. I abandoned my route but vowed to return with help. No pics.

I popped into Troy, New York, and eventually found the graveyard I was looking for. As you can see, it was locked up...



So having been thwarted five times in one day, I drove on to my hotel in Rochester (another crappy Motel 6) and watched Secret Window (lots of Johnny Depp movies on this trip). I have decided to include stories on CD as part of my horrorthon, otherwise, I will never get in 31 stories. Keep an eye out for days 4 to 6. Right now, I must get out of bed for Day 7.

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment